Southland Style Cheese Rolls with McClure’s Pickles
By Kelly Gibney
Makes 15 pieces
These are an absolutely irresistible way to feed a crowd. If you’ve never made
cheese rolls before, now’s the perfect time to discover how easy it is to make this
classic kiwi treat. Kids will love having a go too. Pickles add the perfect bite to the
- 1 250g can reduced cream
- ¼ brown onion, finely diced
- 1 packet onion soup
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- 14 McClure’s pickles slices, diced (Sweet & Spicy or Bread & Butter will both work brilliantly)
- 2 cups grated tasty cheese
- 15 slices buttered white sandwich bread
- To serve: additional McClure’s pickles, tomato relish
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Mix together the reduced cream, diced onion, onion soup mix, mustard powder, pickles and grated cheese.
- Place each slice of bread buttered-side down on a clean surface. Spread a heaped
- tablespoon of cheese mixture down the middle of each. Roll up and press lightly to hold together. Place on a lined baking tray. Repeat until all the filling is used.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and the filling is melted.
- Can be served hot or at room temperature.