Vegetarian Burgers with Zingy McClure's Pickle and Pesto Sauce
By Kelly Gibney
Makes 6 patties
These meat-free burger patties are full of rich, savoury flavour and will be an absolute crowd pleaser. Serve with a big dollop of the zingy pickle and pesto sauce and some homemade kūmara fries.
Makes 6 patties
- 1 medium onion – finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves – finely diced
- 250g Portobello or Swiss brown mushrooms
- 1 medium carrot – finely grated and squeezed tightly of liquid
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- ½ teaspoon fried oregano
- 1 plant-based vegetable stock cube
- 1 can brown lentil – rinsed and drained well
- 1 free range egg
- ½ cup flour (can use GF all purpose if needed)
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (use GF if needed)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Olive oil for sautéing
- ½ cup good quality mayo
- ¼ cup pesto
- 10 slices McClure's Bread and Butter Pickles – diced
- Heat a generous glug of olive oil in a sauté pan over a medium heat.
- Cook the onion until tender and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the mushrooms, carrot, fennel seed and oregano. Increase the heat a little and sauté for 5 minutes until the mushrooms are soft and glossy.
- Crumble the stock cube over the top and mix through well.
- Use a potato masher to mash the lentils until about half are broken up.
- Allow to cool completely and then add the egg, flour and breadcrumbs, along with a generous seasoning of salt and cracked black pepper. Use damp hands to make 6 patties. Place these in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- Cook in a sauté pan in 1 cm of hot oil until golden brown on each side.
- Mix together the sauce ingredients.
- Serve burger patties in brioche buns with lettuce, tomato, avocado, radish, a generous dollop of pesto and pickle sauce. Finish with a couple of slices of McClure's Bread and Butter pickles.