Smash Burgers with McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles
By Kelly Gibney
This is the only way to make burger patties. The burger sauce is an absolute must-do. It’s perfect for dipping French fries too. Make sure not to form patties with the mince at all. It’s the rough portions of meat on the searing hot pan that guarantees loads of delicious caramelized bits – the tell tale sign of a perfect smash burger. Our recipe makes a double patty burger for extra decadence.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 800g beef mince
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 8 slices cheese
- Burger sauce
- ½ cup good quality mayonnaise
- 10 sliced McClures Sweet and Spicy pickles – diced
- 2 teaspoons American style mustard
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brine from McClures Sweet and Spicy pickles
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Generous pinch salt
- Toasted brioche buns
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced red onion
- Extra slices McClures sweet and spicy pickles
- McClures whole spicy pickles to serve on the side if desired.
- Mix together all the sauce ingredients and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes for the flavours to develop.
- Divide the mince into 8 roughly equal portions. Heat a pan (a cast iron pan is perfect) or a BBQ hot plate until very hot. Lightly oil. Place portions of meat in the pan as space allows. Use a metal spatula to press down very firmly to flatten. Season generously with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Wait until you can see the meat browning really well at the edges before flipping it over – usually a minute or two. Place a slice of cheese over each patty and cook for a further minute.
- Spread one half of the toasted bun with the burger sauce.
- Place lettuce leaves and sliced tomatoes on the bottom bun.
- Top with two burger patties.
- Finish with sliced red onion and extra pickles.