By Kelly Gibney
A classic combination made better! Here we’ve partnered our smoky tomato soup (it’s incredibly simple to make) with cheese toasties (vegan friendly) that are made even more delicious with the addition of our favourite sliced pickles.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Generous pinch chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (we used Noble Maple syrup 02, Tanitian Vanilla Bean)
- Olive oil for sautéing
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to season
- To serve: Extra Virgin olive oil, fresh parsley or basil
Vegan cheese and McClure’s pickle toasties:
- 4 thick slices sourdough
- Vegan cheese slices as needed (any particular brand)?
- McClure’s Sweet & Spicy or Bread & Butter pickles
- Heat a generous glug of oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Cook the onion for 10 minutes until soft and lightly golden.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the oregano, paprika and cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, chilli flakes, soy sauce and maple syrup.
- Bring to a boil before simmering for 30 minutes.
- Use a stick blender to blitz until smooth. Season to taste.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil or vegan butter in a skillet (cast iron is ideal).
- Place a slice of sourdough in the pan. Followed by the sliced vegan cheese and your favourite sliced McClure’s pickles. Top with another slice of sourdough.
- Cook until cheese is melted and the bread is toasted and golden brown. Add additional oil as needed to ensure a crunchy result.
- Halve and serve immediately with the soup.