Semifreddo with balsamic roasted strawberries & Tony’s Chocolonely Dark Milk Chocolate Toffee Pretzel
By Kelly Gibney
Semifreddo is a delicious no-churn frozen dessert. Because it can be made in advance, it’s a great option for dinner parties and bbqs. This one is full of strawberries - whose flavour has been intensified through roasting - and chunks of Dark Milk Chocolate Toffee Pretzel chocolate. A delicious dessert that manages to be both decadent and fresh.
- 3 punnet strawberries
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 egg yolks
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons good quality vanilla essence
- 250g mascarpone
- 350ml fresh cream
- 1 block Tony’s Chocolonely Dark Milk Chocolate Toffee Pretzel - roughly chopped
- To serve: Additional chopped chocolate to top if desired.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Remove the mascarpone from the fridge 30 minutes before using.
- Remove the tops from the strawberries and slice in half. Place in a medium oven proof dish. Drizzle with the vinegar and maple syrup and toss to coat well. Roast for 30 minutes. The liquid will start to thicken as they cool. Do not chill before adding to the semifreddo. Mash with a fork.
- Place the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla essence in medium bowl. Use electric beaters to beat for until lighter, thickened and almost double in volume.
- Use electric beaters to softly whip the cream and mascarpone until you have soft peaks. Fold the egg yolks, strawberries and chocolate through.
- Pour into a loaf tin that that has been double lined with clingfilm or baking paper.
- Smooth out the top, cover and pop in the freezer until solid. Preferably overnight.
- Place in the fridge 30 minutes before serving and slicing.
- Serve with additional chopped chocolate on top if desired.