How to cut a world-class garnish with Seedlip Non-Alcoholic Spirits
A garnish on a drink is a final flourish. It adds an element of theatre and fun, and will enhance the drinking experience by awakening other senses such as sight and smell before taste comes into play.
Herbs, edible flowers, citrus peels and spices all make for eye-catching, aromatic garnishes for non-alcoholic cocktails, but don’t plonk a garnish on a drink as an afterthought. If you’re adding Mint, bash the leaves a little in the palm of your hand to release the plants’ fragrant smell. Before adding citrus peel, give it a small squeeze over the glass to release the oil, as this holds much of the scent.
The garnish should be as well thought out as the drink itself and these small actions help to take your cocktail to the next level in smell, taste and appearance.
This mini guide to cutting garnishes will help ensure you’re getting the most out of the plants that we use most in our drinks, in five simple steps.
GRAPEFRUIT ZEST FOR SEEDLIP SPICE 94 & TONIC
Sweat the small stuff. Sharp angles and smart edges make all the difference.
- Peel a long strip of Grapefruit zest. About 1.5cm think.
- Cut off the untidy ends so you’re left with straight edges.
- Cut the short ends diagonally to create a long edge and a short edge. IV. Give your peel a little twist.
- Add to your Seedlip Spice 94 & Tonic at the end, making sure the garnish is at the front of the glass.
CUCUMBER RIBBON FOR SEEDLIP GARDEN 108 & ELDERFLOWER TONIC
An easy trick to introduce a dash of theatre and sophistication.
- Cut your Cucumber lengthways so that the soft, light-green flesh appears.
- Then take your peeler & peel, a long, thin strip. You want the middle part to have border of Cucumber skin all the way around it.
- Wind the garnish around your finger.
- Pick up the highball glass & drop the garnish into it while still holding the top part of the Cucumber against the glass w/ your finger. The Cucumber ribbon should unravel around the inside.
- Add ice & 50ml of Seedlip Garden 108. Then top w/ Elderflower Tonic.
ORANGE SLICE FOR GROVE 42 & SODA
Simplicity at its finest.
- Find a lovely Orange & cut it in half.
- Then, cut off a slice, approx. 0.5cm thick
- Cut this slice in half, straight down the centre.
- Find a highball glass, fill it w/ ice & pour in 50ml Seedlip Grove 42.
- Top w/ soda & finally add your Orange slice. Make sure the slice sits at the front of the glass at a slight angle.