Spooky Halloween Brownies
Boo! That's the one thing you won't hear after serving these tasty Halloween brownies. Better yet, get the fam together and decorate your treats together!
- Servings: 16
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 40 min
For the Meringue Frosting (Ghosts):
- 1/2 cup Granulated Cane Sugar
- 1 large Egg White, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp. Cream of Tartar
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Water
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
For the Brownies:
- 2 x 180g Tony’s Chocolonely 42% Dark Milk Pretzel Toffee bars
- 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 large Eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 10 tbsp. Butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. Water
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- To Make the Brownies: Preheat oven to 165°C. Line an 20 x 20cm or 23 x 23cm baking pan with two strips of parchment paper to create “sleeves” for easy removal after baking.
- Chop one 180g chocolate bar into large chunks to melt over very low heat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, and baking soda together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs, brown sugar, and melted butter for 2 minutes on high speed, until creamy.
- Mix the water and vanilla extract into the egg mixture.
- Add the flour mixture and melted chocolate into the egg mixture. Fold just until combined. Be careful not to overmix as this will create more cake-like brownies.
- Chop the last chocolate bar into small chunks and fold into the brownie batter.
- Transfer the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, the center will look slightly underbaked. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center. If the brownies are finished baking, the toothpick will come out with a few moist crumbs on it.
- Let cool in the pan for 1 hour before slicing into 16 squares.
- To Make the Meringue: Combine all the ingredients except the vanilla into a stainless steel, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Place the mixture over medium-low heat and beat with an electric hand mixer nonstop for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and beat an addition 3-5 minutes, until the frosting is fluffy and stiff peaks. Fold in the vanilla.
- To Assemble: Remove 1/4 cup meringue to mix with black food colouring for the ghost eyes and mouth. Transfer the meringue into a piping bag with a large round tip. Pipe on 2-3 different sized ghosts by piping a small amount then carrying it down a little ways and swirling up the create the iconic ghost shape. Repeat with both large and small ghosts sizes. Pipe small circles for the ghost eyes and mouth with the black meringue. Enjoy!