Kelly Gibney’s Tony’s Chocolonely Dark Chocolate Mint Candy Cane Tart
By Kelly Gibney
This very rich and decadent tart is the perfect Christmas treat for chocolate lovers. The base is speckled with dark chocolate mint candy cane chocolate and the silky ganache filling has a hint of peppermint too. The creamy mascarpone helps to balance out the richness while also providing another opportunity to enjoy even more Tony’s Chocolonely Christmas chocolate.
- 300g Chocolate cookies (I use store-bought crunchy chocolate cookies).
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 80g Tony’s Chocolonely Dark Chocolate Mint Candy Cane, finely chopped
- 100g melted butter
- 300ml fresh cream
- 300g Tony’s Chocolonely Dark Chocolate 72%
- Few drops peppermint essence
- 1 cup mascarpone (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (I used Noble Maple Syrup 02)
- 100g Tony’s Chocolonely Dark Chocolate Mint Candy Cane, finely chopped
- Additional chunks of chocolate for garnishing.
- Place the cookies in a food processor and blitz until a fine crumb. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until evenly incorporated.
- Press into a lightly greased 23cm tart tin with a loose base. Place in the freezer to set for 30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler. Heat the cream at the same time until very hot but not boiling.
- Whisk the cream and peppermint essence into the chocolate until silky smooth.
- Pour into the tart case and place in the fridge to set.
- The mascarpone will be easier to mix with the other ingredients if you remove from the fridge 30minutes prior.
- Stir well with the maple syrup and the chopped chocolate. Spoon on top of the tart. This doesn’t have to look perfect. Rustic is good.
- Cover the inner 2/3 of the surface, leaving some ganache showing around the outside.
- Garnish with more chunks of chocolate.
- Serve immediately or place in the fridge up to 2 hours before serving.