Vegan Mexican-inspired Hot Chocolate with Tony’s Chocolonely Dark Chocolate
By Kelly Gibney
Serves 2 generously
This decadent recipe uses real chocolate and lovely spices to create the ultimate cosy treat (with attitude!). Don’t be nervous of the chilli and cayenne pepper. It provides a subtle little kick that is the perfect partner for the richness of Tony’s Chocolonely dark chocolate.
- 3 cups plant based milk (we favour a 50/50 blend of coconut and almond milk)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch chilli powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch smoked paprika
- Pinch salt
- 100g Tonys Chocolonely Dark Chocolate
- Chop the chocolate as finely as possible. Set aside.
- Place the milk and spices in a small saucepan. Heat slowly (this allows the spices to infuse) until almost boiling. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate, whisking briskly to ensure a smooth result.
- Taste and add additional sugar if needed. Serve immediately topped with a swirl of coconut cream (if desired).
- Leftover hot chocolate can be stored in an airtight jar or bottle in the fridge for up to a week. Gently reheat (and whisk well) in a small saucepan over a medium heat.